Arranmore FerriesAboutTimetableArranmore IslandBook Ticket

The Arranmore Experience

Arranmore Local Attractions and Amenities

Stolwijk Memorial Monument

SS Stolwijk, a Dutch cargo ship, hit rocks off Tory Island on 6/12/1940. 18 of her crew were rescued by the Arranmore Lifeboat. The crew were awarded medals for the rescue

Leabgarrow Beach

Post Office

AIB banking services, bureau de change & mobile top-ups

National School No.1

Primary school built 1908

Children’s Play Park

An Chultúrlann

Visitor Information, Donegal Islands’ Media Archive, Gift Shop, Caifé an Ghabhann, Tennis Court

Famine Pot

Arranmore Holdiay Village

8 Self Catering Cottages

Comharchumann Oileán Árainn Mhór

General hardware, heating oil, road diesel

Ionad an Chrois Bhealaigh

Community Centre, Children’s Playgroup & Summer Camps, Gym

Day Centre/Health Centre

St Crone’s Church

Built in1885 and extended in 1917


The 1st graveyard dates back to 1795, 2nd 1893 and 3rd presently used, 1993

Malaidh na hAltóra

Mass rock where Mass was held in secret during penal times

National School No.2

Built in 1915

Aphort Beach

Old Lifeboat Station


Arranmore United football Club

Founded 1987

Crangy’s Well

One of the wells used prior to piped water in 1973

Tarbh Dubh Rocks

Meaning Black Bull

Anthony (Donnelly) O’Donnell’s Mountain Hut

Little house built in the side of the mountain by one man, who carried all stone up the mountain to build

Twin Lakes

Serene beauty

Loch an Chomhaigh

Main water supply

Beaver Island Twinning Monument

Built 2000 to commemerate the connection between Arranmore Island & Beaver Island, where a lot of our island immigrants set up home after being evicted from Arranmore

Anthony (Donnelly) O’Donnell’s Bogs

An art in itself

Cliff Scenery

Caution d as cliff areas are not fenced nor marked

Coastguard Station

Built by the British and occupied during World War I. Burned down by the IRA during the Black & Tans war of 1920-21.

Lighthouse Steps

You are advised not to go down steps as they are in poor condition and unsafe. They run right down to the sea.


Donegal’s first lighthouse built in 1798 and rebuilt in 1865

Éire Sign 75

Constructed in 1943 to show Ireland’s neutrality during World War II and also used as a navigational aid for overflying Allied airmen

Sea Stacks

a. Giants Reek, b. Lighthouse Stack, c. Stac an Iolar

The Green Island


All stones on this shore are round (Clocha duirlinge)

Roise Rua’s Home

Singer and story teller

Poolawaddy Pier

Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks

RIC were the police force in Ireland from 1822-1922

Lifeboat Station

The first lifeboat came to Arranmore in 1883. We are currently served by Myrtle Maud who arrived at Arranmore in 2000